GPS, an acronym for global position system, is mostly used today for tracking, mapping, and transport. It can be hard to find the best GPS system, whether you need it for a car, truck, boat or anything else. (The Garmin Nuvi 57LM is our top pick). Since it is space-based, it provides information on location and time under all weather conditions anywhere on earth. With 30 GPS satellites present to this day, including spares, their orbits are spread out that it allows anyone on Earth to have at least 6 steady lines in sight.
Top 10 GPS Units
Today, there are hundreds of different GPS units available in the market, 10 of which we will focus on with their individually captivating features. See our list below:
1) Garmin nüvi 2597LMT 5-Inch Bluetooth Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
This 5-inch portable Garmin nüvi 2597LMT vehicle GPS is packed with Bluetooth and uses Real Directions and Real Voice for lifetime maps and traffic for easier navigation and smoother tracking. It is easier to connect to a satellite and has an improved user-friendly, dual-oriented, and touchscreen interface. It displays a clear map chart while you drive and updates your GPS screen real-time. Using your smartphone, you can connect to the Smartphone Link to share information to others, like location and destination.
2) Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
This Bluetooth-free GPS unit updates your system with detailed maps of North America with free lifestyle traffic alerts. The Garmin nüvi 2557LMT GPS boasts of its 5-inch TFT touchscreen with white backlight and manual dual-orientation display. It also includes Active Lane Guidance and a Real/Bird’s Eye.
3) Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
Garmin nüvi 2797LMT GPS has a wider screen that allows information to be seen easier at first glance. Customising the device to your personal preferences and needs is much improved and gives you many options. The directions are equally easy to navigate and understand and the speed indicator keeps you on your driving limit. This unit provides clear instructions from its automated speaker and the brightness setting is easily changeable.
4) Garmin nüvi 55LMT GPS Navigators System with Spoken Turn-By-Turn Directions, Preloaded Maps and Speed Limit Displays (Lower 49 U.S. States)
The Garmin nüvi 55LMT GPS has a more sensitive touch screen that responds at the slightest touch. With a 5-inch screen, the information is easier to read and the device is more suitable for driving. The speed indicator alerts you when you go past the speeding limit, the sounds are clearer and louder, and the screen is customisable with its brightness level. The keyboard lets you to put in information easier.
5) Garmin nüvi 65LMT GPS Navigators System with Spoken Turn-By-Turn Directions, Preloaded Maps and Speed Limit Displays (Lower 49 U.S. States)
Garmin nüvi 65LMT GPS allows a hefty amount of addresses to be put into the device, allowing you to easily choose from your list of destinations. It alerts you every time you pass by a school zone. The spoken turn-by-turn directions improve navigation while driving, with a friendlier voice-over that gives clear-cut instructions to your destination. The larger screen is easier to look at and is more suitable for driving.
6) TomTom VIA 1505M World Traveler Edition GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps
The TomTom VIA 1505M GPS Navigator (World Traveler Edition) works great for many European travellers as it works fantastic over every city in Europe. It boasts of clear and understandable turn-by-turn instructions and the updated maps work like a charm. This device is also lightweight, making it easy to carry around everywhere.
7) Bosion 6.2-inch Double DIN GPS Navigation for Universal Car Free Backup Camera
Users are highly impressed with this device, with the FM transmitter working perfectly. You can also freely operate and maneuver with the GPS and the DVD player while on the road. The back up camera also works like magic, as well as the Bluetooth. Bosion’s 6.2-inch Double DIN GPS Navigation is also armed with a turn-by-turn voice and a radio with a good reception.
8) Rand McNally Intelliroute TND 520 Truck GPS with Lifetime Maps (Certified Refurbished)
This GPS unit works wonderfully for truck drivers out there are as this device informs you of the truck stops ahead once you plug it in to your car system. It leads you from point A to point B without any hassle and gives you a lot of options for routes to take. The screen is relatively easy to read and the directions are understandable.
9) TomTom VIA 1505M 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps
The TomTom VIA 1505M GPS has a friendly price for common GPS users, the device itself boasts of a fast re-routing system, the screen is large enough to allow easy access to information and directions, and the unit’s size is slender and suitable for hand-carry. With road instructions, this unit is very helpful with the intersections and routes.
10) Rand McNally TND730 IntelliRoute GPS Truck Navigator
Rand McNally Truck Navigator keeps you right on track in your area. What most users find worthy of this GPS unit is its feature to give off mile markers both on map and on information screen; it also tells your current location. It’s also packed with impressively accurate routes, and its ability to show you truck stops ahead and alternative routes including toll and non-toll roads.
GPS Units Review
Almost all Garmin nüvi models are packed with Real Voice and Real Directions features, like Garmin nüvi 2597LMT and Garmin nüvi 2557LMT, but if you’re looking for a wide-enough screen that fits all the information you need, opt for the Garmin nüvi 2797LMT. As with truck navigators, the Bosion 6.2-inch Double DIN is the most basic GPS unit featured in the list. With performance, both Rand McNally Intelliroute TND 520 and TND730 easily inform you of truck stops and alternative routes, the latter also showing you mile markers. The TomTom VIA 1505M is known for its improved technical and design features, while travelers prefer the Rand McNally Intelliroute TND 520 for European travels.
What Makes A Good GPS Navigation System?
So what should you look for when buying one?
- The display of the GPS system should be fairly large so that you can easily look at the map while driving. You don’t want to have to bust out a magnifying glass while rocketing down the highway just to see where the next turn is.
- The GPS navigation system should have a loud and easy to understand voice. After all, you can’t always take your eyes off of the road, so you will need to be able to hear the directions audibly.
- The GPS needs to have lots of preloaded maps. You don’t want to find yourself driving in an area of which your GPS navigation system has no map for it. Get model that at least has the maps that you need for where you live.
- A good navigation system needs to have a direction feature, which means that you should be able to enter a start location and a destination in order to get an exact route.
- Should come with weather and traffic updates so that you can choose to take a different route if the situation calls for it, or at least so you know what is happening on the road.
- Should also be able to connect to the internet in some way so that you can load new maps and info onto it.
We have also covered Fish Finders, if you need some help there too.